Courage is the ability to do something that frightens oneself. It is strength in the face of pain or grief. It is strength and bravery.
It takes courage to to set boundaries and to say no. It takes courage to make hard decisions. It takes courage to believe there is something more out there. It takes courage to start a business and run a business. It takes courage to travel alone. It takes courage to stand up for someone.
We have all been faced with moments where you had to muster up the courage to handle a situation. You dig deep – deep in your soul especially when it is that feeling of – I have to do “x” but I don’t want to do “x” but you have to do “x”. You know what I mean. It takes courage.
Having courage is the ability to:
- Face difficulties head on. Facing life’s challenges and demands sometimes takes an insane amount of courage. Having courage to handle these challenges gives you opportunities to grow and set a good example to others.
- Stand up for your values & beliefs. Be true to who are.
- Asking for help. This one is a hard one for many, including me. The crazy thing is don’t you always feel better after asking and receiving help?
- Doing the right thing. It takes courage to make good choices. Sometimes those choices will may come with pain or hurt feelings. Be strong enough to do the right thing.
- Challenging the Status Quo. It takes courage to go against the grain. Have courage, confidence and respect when facing those challenges.
In the movie We Bought a Zoo, the main character says, “You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.” When you think of it like this, you can do anything for 20 seconds. Maybe that is what you need the next time you are trying to find the courage to do something. Twenty seconds is not long. Count it out. Find the strength and insane courage.
To have courage, you must have self-confidence, conviction, integrity, compassion, objectivity, and strength. You have all of those things.
What is one courageous thing you want to do to be more true to yourself? What is one thing you are trying to find the courage to do? What is one thing you feel expected to do that you want the courage to say no to?
Be strong my sweet friends. Have courage when you need it. Lean on people to give you strength. Don’t be afraid to ask for help or do the right thing. I believe in you.
xoxo, Jane Anne