“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” – Leonardo da Vinci
As we get older, we grow to understand that we do not need as many things as we once did. Less is absolutely more these days. Below are a few tips that may help you enjoy the simpler things in life.
1. You are more than your possessions. People tend to get emotionally attached to objects when they can get in the way of conscious living. Minimalism forces us to let go of your emotions and focus on functionality. Get rid of the things that you do not use, that do not serve a purpose, and things that are weighing you down.
2. Appreciation of experience over possession. Money can’t buy happiness, but it can buy a trip or a concert ticket. Go on adventures. Make memories. These experiences will bring you more hours of joy. Spend time doing things with people you love. At the end of the day, you will remember stomping on grapes at a vineyard, dancing in rain, or sitting by the pool laughing with your best friend more than that expensive purse you carry.
3. Compare yourself less with other people. Do not waste your time and energy comparing your life to others. You will not find any joy there. Spend your time appreciating what you have, not what others have.
4. Freedom. Let go of the things that don’t serve a real purpose.
5. Save money. Consumerism and materialism is a never-ending cycle that will leave you feeling inadequate and unfulfilled.
6. More focus. Less clutter and distractions lying around helps you to have a clear mind and improves your focus. Concentrating on only one thing at a time without getting sidetracked leads to better productivity.
7. The secret to happiness. “The secret to happiness , you see, is not found in seeking more but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.” – Socrates
Be intentional with your life and your time. It is not about the value of the things you have, but the value of the life you have. Find your joy in the simplicity of it all.
XOXO, Jane Anne